Type Here to Get Search Results !

Moses Itauma breaks silence after being carried out on stretcher following Filip Hrgovic defeat


Moses Itauma has vowed to come back stronger after his dreams of becoming heavyweight world champion were shattered by Filip Hrgovic at London’s O2 Arena.

The 21-year-old appeared on course to complete a remarkable coronation on Saturday night, controlling much of his IBF heavyweight title fight before exhaustion dramatically took hold.


Itauma’s energy levels collapsed during the eighth round and Hrgovic seized his opportunity, eventually bringing a punishing contest to an end in the ninth.

The British star was carried from the ring on a stretcher before being taken to hospital as a precaution.


However, he was discharged during the early hours of Sunday morning and later spent time recovering with his family.

Itauma subsequently posted a video message for his supporters, showing the bruising around his face as he reflected on the first defeat of his professional career.

“Yesterday was not my night,” he admitted.

“We attempted greatness and we just fell short to the more experienced man.


Moses Itauma has vowed to come back stronger after his dreams of becoming heavyweight world champion were shattered by Filip Hrgovic at London\u2019s O2 Arena

“I wanna say congratulations to Filip Hrgovic on his win and although I never reached my desired outcome, I believe I gained experience that I’ll take to my future fights.

“I wanna thank my fans in and outside of the arena. You guys made it a little bit more special and electrifying than I expected. It was a f*****g good fight and I wanna thank Queensberry and DAZN for putting this show on.

“So, God bless, take care and I’ll be back.”

Itauma had looked increasingly comfortable throughout the opening seven rounds, using his speed and power to trouble the durable Croatian.

LATEST SPORTS NEWS:



Moses Itauma had been on course for victory before he was stunned by Filip Hrgovic

But Hrgovic absorbed the southpaw’s most dangerous attacks and remained patient, waiting for the contest to turn in his favour.

That moment arrived when Itauma’s relentless pace finally caught up with him.

Having struggled to slow himself down, the previously unbeaten prospect was left with nothing in reserve when Hrgovic launched his decisive assault.

The manner of the defeat has prompted questions about Itauma’s corner, including trainer Ben Davison, and whether more could have been done to preserve the youngster’s energy.


Tyson Fury, however, was not surprised to see the highly rated heavyweight encounter adversity for the first time.

“It’s boxing, it happens,” Fury told Bloody Elbow.

Promoter Frank Warren must now carefully rebuild Itauma, whose professional record stands at 14 wins and one defeat.


Moses Itauma will need to recover following his shock defeat on Saturday night

Warren has successfully overseen similar recoveries before.

Daniel Dubois rebuilt his career following an early loss to Joe Joyce and went on to become a two-time world champion.

There will be no shortage of potential opportunities for Itauma once he returns.


He has already demolished experienced contender Dillian Whyte and remains one of the division’s most exciting young fighters.

Fabio Wardley and Dubois are set to renew their rivalry for the WBO crown, while Fury and Anthony Joshua are scheduled to finally collide in November.

Hrgovic is targeting further honours, although a dangerous meeting with Agit Kabayel could be next.






from GB News https://ift.tt/AvklSV5
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.