Type Here to Get Search Results !

Rory McIlroy frustrated by 'stupid decision' after missing out on BMW Championship glory


Rory McIlroy was left ruing a "stupid decision" after a costly mistake helped end his hopes of winning the BMW Championship on Sunday.

The world No 2 had fought his way into contention at Bellerive Country Club and was level with Wyndham Clark with just three holes remaining.


But McIlroy's challenge unravelled at the par-five 17th, where his decision-making proved costly as Clark surged clear to claim his third PGA Tour victory of the season.

Both men found the rough from the tee but opted for very different approaches with the tournament hanging in the balance.


Clark played conservatively and laid up before eventually making birdie.

McIlroy also attempted to lay up but found the bunker, before his next shot ended up in another bunker and he was forced to settle for bogey.

The resulting two-shot swing effectively ended his chances of victory.

McIlroy made no attempt to hide his frustration afterwards and admitted he should have approached the situation differently.


Rory McIlroy was left ruing a "stupid decision" after a costly mistake helped end his hopes of winning the BMW Championship on Sunday

"I tried to get it up a bit too far," McIlroy conceded.

"I should have been taking that left bunker out of play. If you're going to lay it up, lay it up, so just another stupid decision with a lay-up on a par-five that cost me."

It was a painful conclusion to what had otherwise been a hugely encouraging week for the Northern Irishman.

McIlroy entered the tournament searching for answers after a dismal showing at the FedEx St Jude Championship, where he finished 66th in a 68-man field and admitted his game was "so far away" from where he wanted it.

LATEST SPORTS NEWS:



Rory McIlroy graphic

His response in St Louis was emphatic, however.

Three birdies over his final four holes on Saturday propelled McIlroy into contention and gave him the opportunity to apply pressure on Clark during the final round.

In the end, that pressure proved too much.

Clark played his opening 10 holes in three over par, while McIlroy recovered from bogeys at the fourth and seventh by producing three birdies in four holes from the eighth.


McIlroy eventually drew level and remained tied with the American with three holes remaining.

Clark then seized control.

A 15-foot birdie at the 16th moved him ahead before McIlroy's mistake at the next effectively settled the contest.

Clark added another birdie at the last to finish three shots ahead of Patrick Cantlay, with McIlroy four strokes behind in third.


Wyndham Clark pictured with his trophy after fending off competition from Rory McIlroy to win the BMW Championship

"I can't be too disappointed. I'm probably not playing well enough to be disappointed that I didn't win," McIlroy told CBS Sports.

"I had my chances on the back nine and hit a lot of good putts that didn't go in. Wyndham Clark stepped up when he needed too."


Despite his frustration, McIlroy believes significant progress has been made ahead of the season-ending Tour Championship at East Lake.

"I'm closer [with his game] than I was at the start of the week," he said. "I'm still not in a spot where I'm super happy with where my game is or where my swing is, so I just have to keep working on it."






from GB News https://ift.tt/hBMPy1s
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.