Type Here to Get Search Results !

Unai Emery gives honest verdict on youngsters' performances in Super Cup loss to PSG


Unai Emery has given an honest verdict on Aston Villa's youngsters' performances in his side's Super Cup loss to PSG.

The Villains bowed out 2-1 to the European Champions, going toe-to-toe with Luis Enrique's side despite having a scratch squad.


Khvicha Kvaratskhelia opened the scoring for the French side before 17-year-old Brian Madjo, who was a standout for Villa, equalised.

Desire Doue scored the winning goal as PSG became the third club to retain the Super Cup following the successes of AC Milan in 1990 and Real Madrid in 2017.



Emery was full of praise for Madjo and other youngsters who stepped up on the big stage.

He said: "Their experiences and having days like today are very important.

"Brian played today because in pre-season he has shown his capacity to work.

"The reality is to keep being consistent and performing in the level they showed today."


\u200bUnai Emery has given his honest verdict on Aston Villa's performance against PSG


LATEST SPORTS NEWS



Emery was without trio Ollie Watkins, Emi Martinez and Ezri Konsa, whom he had given an extended holiday after the World Cup.

The Spaniard said: "We played one match today to compete for a trophy, and we decided to play this match with the players who were ready to play.

"We tried to avoid risking some players, and of course they are very important players, but it is important how we manage the players.

"We need the players for the rest of the season. I have experience, and I am trying to use my experience to try and avoid some mistakes.


\u200bEmery was full of praise for his youngsters' performances



"I'm so, so happy because we used some young players who were working with us last year but not playing. There is work to do but they showed they can be close to playing.

"We had some players last week injured and they recovered quick. We needed to be intelligent with how we wanted to play this match.

"I'm happy with the decisions. Watkins wanted to play. I told him to keep resting.

"Today I think the team tactically responded fantastically. They looked PSG in the eyes. I wanted this trophy, but I needed to prepare the match under the circumstances. I am proud of the players. But it's not a win. We were playing for a trophy."


\u200bBrian Madjo was a standout for the Villains



Enrique, who has transformed PSG into a winning unit, praised the way Villa played and how his side was able to overcome their challenge.

"We knew it would be a tough game. But we were able to play as we did because my players showed just what they are made of.

"It was a demonstration of what this team is made of. Our DNA. And our fans help us win trophies," he said.


Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter



from GB News https://ift.tt/J60Doc5
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.