Katie Boulter endured the most humiliating Grand Slam defeat of her career on Wednesday, swept aside 6-1, 6-0 by Czech seventh seed Karolina Muchova in the US Open second round. The match lasted a mere 58 minutes.
Across 57 major tournament appearances, the British number one has never been beaten so comprehensively. She managed to claim just a single game against Muchova, this year's Wimbledon finalist, who dispatched her opponent with clinical drop shots and razor-sharp groundstrokes.
Boulter failed to hold serve even once during the contest, broken on all seven occasions she faced break point. The 30-year-old produced just four winners while gifting 22 unforced errors, a lopsided ratio that underlined the gulf between the two players on the day.
It was, by any measure, a chastening afternoon at Flushing Meadows for the world number 62.

The match had originally been slated for Court 5, one of the outdoor venues at Flushing Meadows. Heavy rainfall over New York forced organisers to relocate the contest to the 14,000-seat Louis Armstrong Stadium, the second-largest arena at the complex.
Rather than benefiting from the grander stage, Boulter found the switch deeply unsettling. "I struggled with the conditions," she said. "I struggled with the roof, the noise, I let things distract me. Ultimately, it was a bad day at the office – times two."
She acknowledged that the atmosphere inside the cavernous show court threw her off balance. "You really want atmosphere, and you want to play in a buzz and an energy. But today, I really let it get to me more than usual," Boulter admitted. "I'm not normally that aware of everything going on. I think it made me feel a little bit uncomfortable, which I have to deal with better."
Boulter's serving was particularly woeful — she struck eight double faults and failed to land a single ace, winning only 33 per cent of points behind her first delivery. Muchova, by contrast, compiled 14 winners against just nine unforced errors.
Former world number five Daniela Hantuchova offered a blunt assessment on BBC Radio 5 Live. "I would be really humbled [if I was Boulter], I would sit down with my team and say 'OK, we need to change something big time'," she said.

Hantuchova pinpointed the serve as the primary concern. "It was very obvious today that it was the serve. I feel like it needs to be cleared up because she was losing the rhythm and not using her legs. That's the number one thing," she added. "If she still wants to invest everything into her tennis then she needs to be on the court."
Boulter's dismal outing capped a wretched 2026 Grand Slam campaign. The world number 62 managed just two victories across all four majors this season, both against inexperienced American qualifiers.
Since a first-round exit at Wimbledon, she has won only two of six matches. Her close friend Laura Robson, commentating on the defeat, summed it up succinctly: "Not a great day at the office. She'll want to get off this court quickly."
Off the court, Boulter has had cause for celebration. She married Australian world number seven Alex de Minaur in July, and the Muchova match was her first Slam outing since the wedding.
She will pocket £140,000 for her solitary victory at Flushing Meadows. Her attention now turns to representing Britain in the Billie Jean King Cup Playoffs in China in the coming weeks.
Francesca Jones provided a welcome counterpoint to the British gloom, battling past Poland's Magda Linette 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 in a rain-disrupted first-round encounter.

Jones had taken the opening set on Tuesday evening before play was halted. When the match resumed on Wednesday, Linette stormed through the second set in 25 minutes, but the Briton regrouped impressively in the decider.
Serving for the match, Jones benefited from a fortunate video review that overturned an incorrect double-bounce call against her. "To be honest, I was probably a little bit lucky," she told Sky Sports. The triumph was only her second at Grand Slam level.
Elsewhere, Jan Choinski fell 6-3, 6-1, 7-6 to Botic van de Zandschulp, while Jacob Fearnley was eliminated by Tomas Martin Etcheverry 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 3-6.
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
from GB News https://ift.tt/w1V2pTf
via IFTTT

Thank you for your message!