Type Here to Get Search Results !

Carlos Alcaraz makes shock admission after beating Wu Yibing at US Open


Carlos Alcaraz has admitted he is playing better than he expected after continuing his impressive US Open comeback with a commanding victory over Wu Yibing.

The defending champion booked his place in the fourth round at Flushing Meadows with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-1 triumph, requiring just three sets to sweep aside his opponent.


Alcaraz arrived in New York surrounded by questions after spending four-and-a-half months away from competitive tennis because of a wrist injury.

Andy Roddick and Greg Rusedski were among the players to express concerns about the Spaniard returning at a Grand Slam, where the men's singles matches are contested over the physically demanding best-of-five-set format.


Yet Alcaraz has answered those doubts during the opening week of the tournament.

The seven-time Grand Slam champion has won each of his first three matches and is emerging as one of the leading contenders for the trophy.

His performance was his most convincing yet, with Alcaraz taking control against Wu and refusing to allow his opponent any route back into the contest.

However, it was his assessment afterwards that served as the clearest warning to the rest of the field.


Carlos Alcaraz has admitted he is playing better than he expected after continuing his impressive US Open comeback with a commanding victory over Wu Yibing

"To be honest, I'm playing better than I thought," Alcaraz admitted when discussing his level following more than four months on the sidelines.

"Physically, I thought I was going to be dead after the first match. But I'm recovering really well.

"My level right now is really good. I've got the rhythm of the competition every time I step on the court."

Alcaraz was forced to adapt to Wu's shot-making but believed his decision-making proved crucial under pressure.

LATEST SPORTS NEWS:



Carlos Alcaraz graphic

"Today was a really high rhythm," he explained. "The way he plays, his balls leap around the court, but I stayed there and played aggressively and smart.

"In the toughest moments, I did everything good, which I'm really happy about.

"Could it be better? Yes. But overall I'm just really proud and happy with the performance today."

Alcaraz will now face American star Tommy Paul for a place in the US Open quarter-finals.


The Spaniard is likely to encounter a hostile atmosphere against the home favourite, although his form across the opening three rounds suggests he will take some stopping.

Alcaraz also provided a glimpse into his family's tennis ambitions when he was asked to name his ideal doubles partner.

After considering the question, he selected his younger brother Jaime, who has demonstrated plenty of promise on the court.


Carlos Alcaraz embraces Wu Yibing at the next after charging on at the US Open

"I have to say Jaime," Alcaraz said.

"He is doing great.

"Hopefully one day I can play doubles with him. I'm waiting for him."


A future partnership between the brothers remains some way off, but Alcaraz has more immediate business to address in New York.

Winning the US Open immediately after such a lengthy injury absence would represent one of the finest achievements of his career.

Three rounds into his comeback, the defending champion is going through the motions as he looks to etch his name into the history books once again.






from GB News https://ift.tt/KvFor3X
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.