Type Here to Get Search Results !

Craig Bellamy hits back at abuse and reveals toll on his family after Wales end winless run


Craig Bellamy has hit back at the abuse he has received as Wales manager, revealing his wife and children have been affected during a bruising spell in charge of his country.

Bellamy should have been enjoying the finest victory of his reign on Thursday night after Wales fought back to beat Norway 2-1 in Cardiff.


Instead, questions about the pressure on his shoulders prompted the former striker to speak out about months of criticism.

"It's not me but I have kids and a wife; it's for them - they see it," he said.


Wales arrived at Cardiff City Stadium without a win in six matches, a run stretching back to the World Cup play-off semi-final defeat by Bosnia-Herzegovina in March.

Bellamy's standing with some fans had also suffered after he held talks with Burnley about their managerial job in June.

But the 47-year-old, who was appointed Wales boss in July 2024, insisted he had turned down money to continue leading the national side.

"It's like, I give everything for my country. Everything. I turned down big money to keep doing this. I love doing this," he said.


Craig Bellamy hits back at abuse and reveals toll on his family after Wales end winless run

The win over Norway was Wales' maiden in the top division of the Nations League and Bellamy's first against a country above them in the world rankings.

Yet when asked whether the result had lifted a weight, he admitted the fallout from the Bosnia defeat had been difficult to escape.

"The summer wasn't easy, then these games weren't easy," he said.

"But I've seen it; I've drawn on experience because I've seen managers before me get it."

LATEST SPORTS NEWS:



Wales were impressive as they stunned Norway to end a six-game winless run

Having witnessed the treatment of his predecessors, Bellamy knew the job would bring scrutiny.

Knowing what to expect, however, had not made the past few months any easier.

"I've been part of that, and I've seen the abuse," he explained.

"I've seen the abuse the previous manager got just before me, and I have to be honest, it's been a really difficult couple of months.


"I've lived in this environment and I had it as a player, but I think there's ways we can speak to people, and just because it's the game we love, it doesn't give us the right to think we can say whatever we want to."

He also called for understanding within Welsh football, asking why people in such a small country could not look after one another.


Craig Bellamy called for Wales to stick together in the wake of their victory over Norway

"I'm not saying everyone's above criticism, far from it. But I think it's too easy, and we're too quick," he said.

For all his frustration, Bellamy was keen that his remarks should not take the shine off a breakthrough night for his players.


After falling behind, Wales had found a way to win again. Bellamy's delight, he insisted, was for the country he represents.

"I'm really happy with it, but I'm happy for the country, you understand?" he said.






from GB News https://ift.tt/mbzxEU0
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.