Type Here to Get Search Results !

Jordan Pickford says he is 'only getting better' after facing competition from England No1 jersey


Jordan Pickford said he is "only getting better" after facing competition from James Trafford for England's No1 jersey.

The Everton goalkeeper has been on the bench for the Three Lions' first two Nations League matches but will return against Croatia and Czechia next week.


For the first time in eight years, Pickford has competition for the starting goalkeeper spot, insisting he is relishing the challenge.

He said: "I'm 32 now, you see keepers playing still at 40, still playing at the highest level.



"It's about me focusing on myself; I set myself my own goals.

"I want to push boundaries and keep improving and keep going to be the best version of myself.

"I'll never stop until I stop. I'm not slowing down, I think I'm only getting better."

Pickford has been the first-choice goalkeeper since before the 2018 World Cup, sharing he is determined to support Trafford.


\u200bJordan Pickford said he is 'only getting better'


LATEST SPORTS NEWS



The Leeds United goalkeeper has had a strong start to the season since his move from Manchester City, as Pickford hailed the way the pair are getting on.

"It is not often I do that," he said of his bench-warming. "The manager told me the reasons why. It was good for me to see where I'm at."

Pickford continued: "It's about me being a good teammate with good energy around the place and train well and have that leadership role.


\u200bJames Trafford has started England's last two matches



"I think I've done it really well over the last two games. It's not normal for me, but first and foremost, the manager asks to be the best teammate.

"I love playing but if I'm watching, I just want the best for England and that's to win and I think I dealt with it really well.

"It was different, but we have also been together in a cycle now for two years.


\u200bJordan Pickford will be back in the England net against Croatia



"Trafford started really well for Leeds. It's been a good unit around us for the last two years.

"That's what the manager said and you have to respect that decision."

England play Croatia on Saturday evening, with kick-off at 5pm.


Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter



from GB News https://ift.tt/Sb3lumP
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.