Type Here to Get Search Results !

Tennis star apologises after hitting spectator with ball at China Open


Tennis star Daniil Medvedev has apologised after hitting a spectator with a ball, leading to his disqualification from the China Open.

The former world No1 was losing 7-5, 5-3 in the semi-final to Novak Djokovic when he launched a loose ball into the crowd.


The shot caught a spectator in the front row in the face, who had to be attended to while holding his hand to his eye.

Speaking after the incident, Medvedev said he was "terribly sorry" and explained he feels "horrible".



He told reporters: "I'm trying to get in touch with him, if he wants it

"Hopefully I can apologise in person and see how he feels.

"I mean, 100 per cent (an) accident. You can see that I didn't hit the ball in anger. Actually, I do a lot of bad things, but usually ball abuse is not my thing.

"The ball was bouncing back, so I tried to, like, just hit it anywhere, so it doesn't go out from the court.


\u200bDaniil Medvedev apologised after hitting a spectator at the China Open


LATEST SPORTS NEWS



"When I saw the result, I mean, I felt horrible because, again, I don't think I was ever close to such (a) situation.

"The most important (thing is), I hope that he's okay because you never know with these types of situations."

Djokovic shared he was in disbelief at the incident, having been involved in a similar moment at the 2020 US Open after hitting a line judge with a ball in frustration.

"It was a bit of a shock, to be honest," he said.


\u200bThe Russian said he felt 'horrible' after hitting the spectator



"Sorry for the person (who was hit). I honestly didn't see what happened. I hope that person is not badly injured.

"On the other hand, I also feel sorry for Daniil, because I know exactly how he feels to be disqualified in a big match.

"I was disqualified at the 2020 US Open in similar circumstances. I am sure that Daniil didn't want to do this intentionally. It just happens."

Following the disqualification, Medvedev missed out on his prize money for reaching the last four and all his points.


\u200bMedvedev missed out on his prize money for reaching the last four, and all his points



For Djokovic, he is now one win away from his first title of the year.

The Serbian has never lost a match in the competition, winning it six times since his debut in 2009.

Djokovic will face Australian Alex De Minaur in the final.


Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter



from GB News https://ift.tt/7VkqRGn
via IFTTT
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.